V60 is the name for a single cup brewer designed by Hario – the 60 stands for the angle in degrees that forms the shape of the cone.
WHAT YOU NEED.
- Dose – 15g coffee : 250ml water
- Grind – Medium-fine. Consistency: caster sugar
- Hario V60 Brewer
- Hario V60 Filter papers
- Hot water just off the boil (93–95ºC)
STEP BY STEP GUIDE.
- Rest your V60 on a cup or server and place filter paper into the brewer.
- Wash the filter paper with hot water whilst sat in the V60 to wash away potential papery taste and to warm up the brewer.
- Dispose of water from the brewer and place ground coffee into filter paper – give the V60 a shake to level out the grinds.
- Place your V60 on a set of zeroed scales.
- Set your timer and pour 30g of hot water over the coffee, in a circular motion, wetting all the grounds. Fresh coffee will start to bubble and release gases at this stage – ‘blooming’ the coffee.
- Stir the coffee.
- After 20 seconds, slowly pour the remaining 150g of water over the coffee, wetting all the coffee grounds.
- The coffee should finish brewing in around 2 minutes 30 seconds – if it takes less time, or much longer, you may need to adjust your grind size.